Over the years, many video poker variants have made their way online. In fact, if you make an attempt to count, you will find about 50 different variations of video poker. So, it goes without saying that one needs to adopt different playing strategies for the different video poker variants.
The average payouts for the different variations of poker are clubbed within a narrow range. Therefore, if you are playing with a small bankroll and wagering just small amounts, then you do not have to worry which variant of video poker pays well and which does not. Here, you will be playing video poker for the sheer pleasure of the game and entertainment.
Variants of video poker were basically introduced to ensure players do not get bored with playing Jacks or Better all the time. So, the variations in video poker allow you a wider choice of the game and you can select any one. And, if you are bored with one variant, you always have the option of switching to the next one.
Video poker requires the player to take decision. This automatically means that that a player requires to have a strategy in place. As mentioned earlier, different variations of video poker require different strategies. Hence, if you play several kinds of video poker variants, then you will be required to learn several kinds of strategies in order to ensure you get a higher ratio of payouts.
Therefore, if you are playing with a moderately sized bankroll, you should concentrate just a few video poker variants; and only on those where you are certain about the strategies.
On the other hand, if you are playing with a large bankroll, you should select the variants that have the highest payouts. As you keep playing, even a small difference in the payout will translate to significant amount. This also means that you should have all your strategies in place to win the maximum amount each time you play a hand and also have an eye on the payout table.
Some variations of video poker have wild cards, while others have Joker wild cards. There are still other variations that have both the options. Then, there are video poker games that are played with more than one deck of cards; and some may even give the players bonuses for getting certain card combinations. Some of the most popular video poker variations are Jacks or Better variants, Aces and Eights, Aces and Faces, All Aces, Deuces and Joker Wild and Bonus Poker.
Here are some strategies for two of the most common types of video poker variants:
Jacks or Better:
· If you have four cards to a Royal Flush, it is best to discard the fifth card.
· If you have three cards to a Royal Flush, keep the winning combination of straight flush, full house, four of a kind of three of kind. Alternatively, you can hold on to the three cards, and choose to draw two new cards.
· If you have two cards for Royal Flush, then hold on to the cards
· If you have a pair, especially if they are high value cards, hold on to them unless you have three cards for Royal Flush or Straight Flush.
· If you have a low value pair, then keep the cards if you cannot make any other winning combination.
· If you have no winning combination, but have high cards, then you should hold on to them. You may end up with a high pair.
· If you have cards without any winning combination and they are of low value, it would be better to discard all of them and draw five new cards instead.
· If you have five of a kind, you should always keep the cards. The same is also true for Royal Flush.
· If you have four deuces, then make sure you keep the cards.
· If you have three deuces, retain the deuces and discard the other two cards for two new ones.
· If you have two deuces and two cards for Straight Flush or Royal Flush, you hold on to all the four cards and then draw a new card for the fifth one.
· If you have two deuces and a pair, then hold on to the four cards and discard the fifth one for a new card.
· If you have two deuces and one card for Royal Flush, then keep the three cards and discard the other two for two new cards.
· If you have just two deuces in your hand, then hold on to them and draw three new cards.
· If you have one deuce and three cards for a Royal Flush, you should hold on to all the four cards and draw a new fifth card.
· If you have no deuces in your hand, but have a winning hand, you should hold on to the winning hand.
· If you have 2 pairs, then always keep the pair with the higher value and draw three new cards from the deck.
· If you have four cards in your hand for Straight Flush, then retain them and draw a new fifth card.